"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, January 17, 2014

My Daughter's First [unplanned]5K

My daughters have always been very active and they currently play basketball.  Last fall one of them told me she was thinking about trying out running after basketball season was over.  Yesterday there was no basketball practice, so the same daughter told me she was going to go for a run. 

"I'll just be gone for 30 minutes.", she said, "I don't even know if I can run for that long, but I'm going to try." 

I said okay and continued about my business.  We live in a fairly safe neighborhood, so I wasn't worried about her. 

Well, she returned a little over 30 minutes later elated and showing me on her Nike+ Fitness app that she had just finished running 3.56 miles.  She said she just kept running until she realized she'd hit 30 minutes and then finished it out.

I told her that was a little over a 5K and she was grinning from ear to ear. 
When she mentioned running last fall I had told her she would probably have no problem running a 5K in the spring and she had said she'd like to try for that.  Well, now that she just ran 3.56 miles (about .46 over a 5K) she is thinking of going for a 10K race this spring instead. 

The best part of this is how she posted on her Instagram account that she knew if her mom could do it she surely could.  Aww... 

At my heaviest I was always happy for my kids when they played for hours outside and when they played sports I cheered them on, never once wishing I could participate in those activities with them.  My husband was the active parent and I was happy to cheer from the sidelines.  

Now my daughter is saying that she'd like to try to train for a 10K ... and she wants me to help her find a training plan so we can train together.  Another moment of non-scale victory in my new ending.  :)

1 comment:

  1. That is so amazing and awesome! To inspire our children is such a gift, in one regard...and yet one we have to most definitely EARN by good acts. You have succeeded, mom. :)

    ReplyDelete