"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

One Week Post Op

It's officially been a week since my abdominoplasty surgery and things appear to be healing nicely.  Unfortunately, the death of my mother six days ago seems to have robbed me of some of my restufulness emotionally, but physically I've had plenty of care and time to rest.  Things are coming along nicely for her service and I am cleared to go out for it in about a week.  

Today I had a couple of firsts:

  • I took a shower! Our shower has a removable shower head with the tubing attached, so I actually sat in our shower and my husband still washed me.  :) It felt so good to have the warm water pour over me.  
  • I sat with my family at the dinner table for dinner.  I realized I should probably try sitting up a little bit each day and what better time than to eat and converse with my family? It was nice.  I spent maybe another hour upright and then I was ready to recline again.  
I've been amazed at how well the body can heal itself, but I'm also seeing the reality that this is truly a slow and steady healing process.  It took about an hour and a half to shower, put lotion, dress and out on my face and after that I was ready for a nap.  

It's times like that I'm glad my kids are older and understand what I'm going through.  If I am wiped out and need to rest in my chair they understand.  Younger children would probably not be able to comprehend why mommy stays so still for so long. 

Tomorrow was supposed to be my next checkup appointment, but due to a winter storm passing through they closed their office and moved my appointment to Friday. That means my drains won't be out tomorrow.  Darn it.  I am ready for them to come out.  My drain output is pretty low now, so at least I feel I should be able to take them both out on Friday.  

That's it for now.  The healing continues to be uneventful and I'm so grateful.  

3 comments:

  1. You are making nice strides a little bit every day! So glad, and very glad you have such a wonderful hubby and kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it the little things you appreciate doing again? I remember a few years ago when I herniated my back the first time and the recovery took so long. I remember after 4 or 5 days I made my own breakfast and it was a 1-minute muffin. It took forever for me to move around because of pain. I told my husband that I was the only one that could make a 1-minute muffin a 20-minute muffin LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you are on the mend - just be patient with your body! The little things will add up. Hope the drains come out soon, for your sake!

    ReplyDelete