"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, January 24, 2014

Post Op Day 4

One thing I kept reading repeatedly with regards to abdominoplasty recovery was that day #3 would be "hell"; the day the pain just really hit hard and you wondered why the heck you did this to yourself.  I'm happy to say that has not happened to me. 

My doctor said he is using a fairly new anesthesia that lasts about 48 hours and helps with getting over the worst of the pain. I think between the newer anesthesia and me staying on top of my medications I have not hit a wall of pain of sorts.  Yay! 

Today my quadriceps have begun aching at times, so I have been getting up more regularly to move around. The standing and shuffling around my house feels good for my middle, but it doesn't take long for me to tire out. Sheesh.  

I think today is the first day I started getting a little stir crazy, so I went and sat in a different room for a little bit.  :) I really don't want to go out with my drains in, so I'll be home for a bit longer.  Everything I read prior to surgery said this is a long recovery and to just take it easy and slow.  

Unfortunately, with the death of my mom I'm not sure if my lack of interest in movies and the like is due to being stir crazy from surgery or being frustrated I can't get up and do more.  My phone has been ringing off the hook with texts and phone calls both yesterday and today.  While I'm so grateful for the love and support I am finding it wears me out. Again, I'm not sure if it's emotionally draining just because of the death or because I'm also recuperating from surgery.  I imagine it's both and I'm trying to be patient with myself.  

But, everything looks to be healing up nicely and I am standing taller every day.  My drains appear to be holding less fluid each day and that is a good sign as well. I have some steri strips starting to fall off and I let them, though it grosses me out. Blech. 

Last night my family brought the dinner table into the living room so they could all eat with me,  it was sweet.  My husband also brings his food in to eat with me whenever he's home.  Today he showed my son how to make coffee because my son wanted to learn and help out.

Speaking of my son...this was cute.  He's 13 and stayed home with me today while my husband went to the girls' basketball game.  Well, the doorbell rang and it was a floral delivery.  I hear the guy say, "I have a delivery for Leah.." And then I hear" You can sign it." Some mumbling from my son and "sign it however you like."  I was awww... My son was probably asking if he had to sign for it in cursive or not.  So cute. That was a first for him,  :) 

This is getting to be a long post and it's time for another walk, so I'll go for now.  Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Leah; I am just catching up on your blog today, my deepest sympathy on the loss of your Mom. (((hugs)))
    Take great care in healing both physically and emotionally my friend!

    ReplyDelete