"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pre-Op Appointment

I had my pre-op appointment today for my abdominoplasty.  The doctor and staff were very in depth with the risks, procedures, to-do's etc and said everything looks good.  I have my prescriptions to fill for an antibiotic, a pain killer and a muscle relaxer.  I'm also going to look for a stool softener to take right away to help keep me from getting constipated.  

They suggested I wear a shirt or zip up hooded sweatshirt for surgery because that will be easier to put on versus trying to lift my arms above my head to get into a t-shirt the first day or two.  I only have one button up blouse, so I stopped at Kohls and picked up a cute pair of flannel pi's with a button front on clearance.  As my girls said, I'll also need to look cute if someone comes to the house.  Yea, me with no makeup and hunched over will be cute.  lol  :) 

But I digress.

The doctor did inform me that the area on what would be near the back of my hips will still have the skin and fatty tissue it currently has, but everything else will be pulled flat.  I was informed I can lose up to 20 more pounds and it not affect the results of my surgery.  Since I would like to get down to 150 I was glad to hear this.  

My husband went with me to the appointment and the doctor showed him wear the incisions would be -- one from hip to hip and one around my belly button.  My husband is a dentist and a little familiar with surgical procedures so he asked a couple questions about anesthesia and post-op medication.  The doctor was very patient with us and answered all our questions in a kind manner.  

At the last minute the nurse remembered she has to take a before picture and we had to go into this little room where the camera is set up.  I put on the little panties handed to me and told my husband had I not been about to have my stomach skin removed I would've been very embarrassed to let my gut hang out like that.  Yikes.  She is the nicest young lady and kept telling me I'm going to be so pleased with my results.  (No, mom I did not consent to have my photos on their website...even though I did tell my husband I've learned a lot from seeing others photos.)

The doctor asked if I needed a valium to take the night before surgery and I told him I think I'm fine; to which he replied that I looked very calm.  I am. 

I really am not worried about the surgery.  I'm very comfortable with the doctor and staff at the surgical center where it will be performed.  I also have no expectations of looking like a super model when it's over.  I've given birth to twins and a single baby, lived the majority of my adult years weighing over 200 pounds on a 5' 4" frame and have the stretch marks to prove it.  

My body has done some amazing things and I'm very proud of that.  I'm simply looking forward to not having the bulging skin in my middle when I exercise and to look a little smoother in my clothing.  Today my doctor assured that he'll be able to take care of all of that.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment