"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, January 17, 2014

Pre-Op Phone Call

This morning the nurse called from the surgery center where I will be having my abdominoplasty on Monday.  Most of this isn't anything new, but I'm kind of having fun journaling this tummy tuck journey.

First, she asked if I had any questions, then she said to get a pen handy and she was going to go over a few things with me and proceeded to remind me ...

  • When to arrive and where to enter the surgical facility, around back where no one will see me shuffling in and out in my pajamas...cute as they are.  :)
  • No lotions, makeup or jewelry on surgery day, but I can take a shower that morning.
  • Bring all prescriptions with me and no medications or herbal supplements that morning. (No daily vitamin...that's my only "herbal" supplement.)
She said I can wear whatever style bra I feel most comfortable in and if I have a hard time putting it back on then they'll send it home with me in a bag.  Oh my.  The thought of being outside my home without undergarments makes me blush.  *giggle*  She said they may or may not let me keep my bra on during surgery.  I knew they'd have me remove it, but I kind of hope I can get it back on afterwards.  I think I'm going to go with a lighter support sports bra I have, because it comes on and off pretty easily and will be more comfortable to sleep in.

She said my husband seems so sweet.  He was asking all kinds of questions about the anesthesia and pain medications at the pre-op appointment.  I told her it's kind of funny, but being a dentist and being somewhat familiar with oral surgery he likes to know everything that is going on.  

I informed her that we have decided to drive home, versus staying in a hotel minutes from the center. We live 45 minutes from where my surgery is being done, but I know my recliner and have things ready here for me to sleep.  I think the hardest part will be getting in and out of the car, which I'll have to do regardless of where I stay, so we've decided to save the money and just come home. 

I asked her if I can get a picture of what will be removed and she said, "Oh yes.  I'm going back there to take pictures of everything and I can get you copies of that; just remind me."  I'm so excited about that.  It will be interesting to see just how much skin/flab is removed.  

I asked if liposuction is included in my surgery because I keep seeing before/after photos with captions like "abdominoplasty with liposuction to the flanks".  She said that is a separate procedure and we could ask the doctor about doing it, but he may not because my surgery will be pretty extensive already.  I told her I wasn't going to use surgery to get rid of excess fat and that if it bothered me I'd take care of it with diet and exercise. 

I had another major question for her about the expected results of my surgery, but I'm going to post separately about that.  She answered that very thoroughly and I was super glad she called.

This nurse, or medical assistant..not sure what she is, is so sweet.  She's probably 10 years younger than me (or more ... lol) and keeps telling me, "You're gonna be so pleased with your surgery!  You're gonna love it!"  She and the doctor have seen before/after pictures of me at my heaviest weight and they are excited to do this surgery and help me even further in my journey. 

She asked if I was getting more excited and yes, ma'am I am!

1 comment: