"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, January 17, 2014

"Will I Still Have a Lumpy Stomach??"

At my pre-op visit the doctor held the bottom of my stomach, the "apron" as they call it, and told me they can definitely get rid of that.  Then he touched the upper portion of my abdomen, just under my bra and informed me, "That will not go away.  We can not remove that fatty tissue due to blood supply issues."  

After he left the room I asked the nurse about that comment and she assured me everything will be flush and smooth.

But in the days following I was still worried about the thought that the upper abdomen fatty tissue would still be there.  I had images of a flatter lower abdomen and a bulge on top, or small deposits of bulging tissue everywhere. 

When I voiced my worries to my husband he replied with, "You've seen the pictures ... you'll be fine."  

But it still bothered me and I knew I was going to ask the nurse about it one more time just to be sure.    This is a lot of money to spend and have unanswered concerns prior to the procedure. 

So, today when the nurse called me I told her I was thinking about calling her with this concern.  I told her everything that was bothering me and she explained it like this: 

She said the fatty tissue that is attached to the upper portion of by abdomen will not go away, but be stretched out along my abdomen along with the skin that will be pulled down.  I told her it concerned me when the doctor kept pointing it out, but she reassured me it just meant my stomach will not be rock hard, but have a small layer of fatty tissue under the skin.  

"Don't worry.  You'll be flat and it will look all smooth because that tissue will stick with the skin as it is pulled down.  You're gonna love it!"  

I asked her if it was like having a pile of frosting on a spoon and then smoothing it over a cake -- it's the same amount of product, but spread out.  She said that was right. 

I told her I never expected my stomach to be a washboard stomach when this surgery is done.  There are women going into the surgery with much less fat and weight on their bodies than I am, so I know I will not look like their "after" pictures.  I always look for the "before" pictures that look similar to my stomach right now and then look at their "after" pictures as something I have to look forward to.  (It's always much, much better than what I've ever had in my life..) 

She said I have a great outlook and my expectations are exactly what they should be for this procedure.  She also reassured me for the millionth time, "You're gonna love it!"  :)  Now that she has put to rest my qualms about the fatty tissue that will remain I am definitely getting more excited about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment