"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, June 5, 2014

I Am So Tired

Lately I've been so tired that I seriously started wondering if I was having pre-diabetes issues.  With a school schedule that requires my kids, and thus me, to get up at 6:00am hitting an afternoon slump is something I've become used to.  I either combat it with an afternoon coffee or taking a nap when I get home from picking all three of them up (about 3:10pm).  Sometimes I do both.  

Actually, lately I've been doing both.  I've even had days where I have two cups of coffee later in the day because I'm so tired and it doesn't even help.  Thus, the reason I was wondering if there was something more going on with my body.  

Then it occurred to me, when the soreness from the class I took Monday was still bothering me as I set my bike up for the cycle circuit class yesterday... I think my body isn't recuperating from the heavy workouts like it did pre-surgery. 

hhmm....  This more intense fatigue is kind of sporadic and didn't really start until recently, which coincidentally is when I started taking the classes.  

I've been excited that I can keep up in the classes.  I'm like, "Woot!  I may not be able to squat as low or do more than 2 real pushups yet, but I can keep up with the class when it comes to the cardio intervals and getting reps in...low in weight as they may be!"  

Our instructor is about 6 1/2 months pregnant and yesterday she made the comment that she has the energy to get through the classes she teaches, but she doesn't recuperate as easily right now.  "My body will be like, 'We are not doing anything today!' and I just have to listen to it." 

Ah ha!  I think I may be in a similar boat -- except my abdomen shrunk and she can still whip our butts with a baby belly protruding all cute and everything.  

Anyway...I digress.  After she said that I really got to thinking.  

I'm glad my muscles are remembering what it is to exercise and that I can keep up in class for the most part, but I think I need to really try and get more sleep; even if that comes in the form of a regular daily nap.  When 4 cups of coffee day aren't taking away the fatigue, then something else has to change.  :)  

Also, school will be out next Friday and then I will be able to sleep at least til 7/7:30am and more if I need it most days.  I'm hoping the later alarm will help me get more full nights of sleep.  

On a side note, it's one of the reasons I didn't want to do the half marathon.  Half marathon training requires getting up early to run outside before it's too hot.  With how I've been feeling lately I just want to get a full night's sleep again.  

I've never done well on pretty much less than 7 hours of sleep and I'm thinking here recently my body may be asking for even more than 8 if I'm going to push it with exercise.  I've also decided that I may stick with walking on my off-class days to keep the habit of exercise alive without over taxing myself.  We'll see.  

Anyway...I don't have any other signs of pre-diabetes, so I'm going to see how things go once we start our summertime schedule.  If nothing changes, then I'll worry about looking into blood work or something more serious.  However, I don't anticipate having to do that.   

I think I simply need more sleep.  :)

Whew... that a long post to say that I am very tired and I think my older body needs more sleep to continue healing from surgery and begin getting stronger again.  :)

p.s.  I've tried getting to bed by like 9:30, but that is so rare.  It's great when it happens, but I'm usually in bed around 10:00-10:30 and sometimes later.  Just so you know... 

2 comments:

  1. Why not go on Ebay and invest in a cheap glucometer? I did ..$10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mere thought of getting up at 6:00 exhausts me. I've learned through the years that I'm just not a morning person and I just have so much more energy getting up later (and going to bed later). Of course, I know that not everyone has a schedule that will allow sleeping later in the morning. There were years when I had to get up at a time that I knew wasn't optimal for me.

    ReplyDelete