"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, June 23, 2014

Motivational Monday - HIIT Classes are Working!

I've really been wanting to go for a run lately, but with the weather being warmer I've been hesitant to go out.  Once or twice I've run on the treadmill at the gym and it feels good when I'm done, but it's nothing as nice as running out of doors. 

Well, my daughter's cross country practices are now during my [favorite] gym class times, so today I decided I'd go ahead and run in my neighborhood after dropping her off at practice instead of trying to squeeze in half of the class at the gym.

It was warm and humid, but I planned to just go run 3 miles and take it as easy as I needed to.

What a great run it turned out to be!  I finished my first mile in 12:10 and ended up averaging an 11:52 pace for 3.18 miles.  Woot!  With the temperature being about 75 and humidity around 65% I expected to average around a 13:00 minute mile.  

As I ran I realized, my HIIT classes are working.  The strength training and cardio intervals don't always burn a lot of calories at that time, but I can tell I am getting a little stronger.  And now when I went running I saw the positive impact the interval training makes on my running and I was thrilled.  

I still have no desire to get up early and run three days a week right now, but I'm encouraged to see that my efforts at the gym are paying off in my running as well.  :)  

1 comment: