"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Back from Vacation

A week ago I was in the process of getting to an airport and making my way back home.  Due to a storm in our layover city we ended up not arriving in our local airport until 1:30am Wednesday morning, but we made it safe and sound.  It was three weeks of fun, tears and yes...food.  

The good news is that when I was weighing my largest suitcase a week ago to make sure it wasn't over the 50-pound limit I saw that I had not gained one pound on our trip. 

*Happy Dance* 

The only post I wrote on vacation was at my mother-in-law's, which subsequently was the only week I had the time to get in some exercise.  I knew that was how the vacation would go, because the second 2/3 of the trip was mostly full of a week-long conference and other activities with my dad.  

I allowed myself to enjoy food and visiting without thinking too much about my weight.  However, I did notice a couple things: 

  1. I did not snack at all, because we were eating three full meals every day. 
  2. I even found myself not wanting full meals for dinner because I wasn't really hungry after a large lunch.  Sometimes I opted for a dessert instead.  It was yummy and satisfied what I really wanted when I knew I didn't have the room for a meal AND dessert.
  3. During the conference there was a donut break and I took cheese sticks for myself, only having a donut the last morning. 
  4. I kept water with me and tried to get in at least 2-4 cups a day.
Im pretty sure these few things were key in keeping me from gaining weight on our trip.  I seriously figured I might be up about 5 pounds, so having not gained any is exciting for me.  :) 

In the days since we've been home I've only been out for real exercise twice.  That's just how it happened and I'm okay with it.  We didn't realize how adjusting back into a time zone three hours different than where we'd spent the previous three weeks would affect our sleep patterns and such, so it's taken me a minute to get back into feeling "normal" after returning home.  

However, beginning yesterday I've been tracking my food again and been feeling more back on track.  I still need to get back off the ten pounds I gained and I'd like to lose another ten at some point, so vacation eating is not going to last all summer.  

Exercise will still be up and down because of summertime schedules, but it will get done as well.

So, thanks for stopping by.  I'm not dead.  I haven't given up.  And I'm back.  Because my new ending continues to include healthier eating and exercise habits, even in the midst of summer vacation[ing].  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment