"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

176 ... First Ugh, Second a Plan

Last Thursday, before packing up and heading out to our church's 3-day kids camp, I decided to weigh myself.  I won't belabor you with my reasons, but let me tell you I wasn't pleased with what I saw. 

176

Um, that's up 4 pounds from the beginning of the month.  That was also after getting back into regular exercise, so I was a bit mortified.  I kind of chalked it up to water retention from exercise or my muscles growing already, so I tried to not let it bother me too much.  

However, while at camp I could tell in my clothing that 176 was probably a real number.  Lately, I've noticed my middle seems fuller than it has in a long while; even before my skin removal surgery.  

Sunday morning I weighed myself again, hoping I'd still see 176 because I'm always up a couple of pounds after camp, so if that number was a fluke it might still be there.  

Um, no.  It said 180.  

Proving 176 was most likely a true reading a few days earlier.   

Ugh. Double ugh.  How embarrassing. 

The only good thing about this revelation of where I'm truly at right now is that I did not allow that number to ruin my Sunday.  Instead I decided on a plan. 

  • I am going back to weekly weigh-ins while losing this weight I've allowed to creep back on.  
  • I am also faithfully tracking my food daily AND making sure to stay within my calorie budget six days of the week.  
  • I will continue with my regular exercise, including running 2-3 days a week and HIIT classes 2-3 days a week.  My goal is to exercise 4-5 days a week at minimum.  

The exercise is nothing new.  Outside of my surgery recovery time I've never really had a problem getting 4-5 days of exercise in, especially once my children return to school. 

The food is a whole other ballgame and that has been my problem.  I'm on day 2 of tracking and staying within my allotted calorie budget for the day and it's going fine so far.  

For the record, I have My Fitness Pal set to lose 1 pound a week, so I'm allotted 1520 calories daily.  I will input my exercise, but I think I'm going to try and only eat about 1700 total, even if MFP allows me more...unless I'm truly hungry.  

This is a lifelong journey and I don't plan on starving myself back down the scale (and to where my clothes fit comfortably again).  I also refuse to buy bigger clothes, because this recent thicker Leah is not my new normal.  

So, there it is.  I've seen another new highest number, I'm a tad humiliated, but instead of letting it take me down I'm choosing to make a plan.  

If I don't make it back before Friday I'll see you then with my weigh-in -- hopefully it will be less than 176.  (It was already back down to 178 a day after camp...that weight never stays for long..whew!)

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Yeah, those weight gains are never fun. I am working off stress gain from the past 8 months with the whole house mess. It always comes down to food for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are still struggling, but it seems like you turned it around before the scale could venture any further into the 180s. Sounds like you have a solid plan to zoom out of the 170s. Back to basics is the way to go to jump start your loss again (and I really need to be practicing what I preach so I can get out of the 180s for the first time in 12 years!!!

    ReplyDelete