"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, August 4, 2014

Motivational Monday - Just Do It: Running

As I was shopping in Ross last week with my son I came across this t-shirt

and I grinned to myself because I've been lazy about wanting to get back into running, even though I knew my training plan for the fall 10K I want to do started today. 

Over the weekend I even found myself looking over various training plans to find the "easiest" one.  When I mentioned to a lady at church, whose husband runs, that I was looking for an easy plan she laughed and replied, "There is no EASY training plans.  Running is hard work." 

And you know, yes it is.  I mainly looked for plans that covered the least mileage in preparing for the final 6.2 distance, but deep inside I knew I was capable of doing the original plan I looked at which builds up to 8 miles and then tapers back down to the race day 6.2.  

So, I decided yesterday I was going to just do it.  I decided I'd take it slow if needed, but I would simply get each run done and begin training for my race whether I felt like it or not. 

And I did.

After dropping my daughter off at cross country practice I went back to my neighborhood and went out for the scheduled 3-mile run.  It was a somewhat cool 73 degrees with complete cloud cover.  Had it not been raining earlier thus being 97% humidity it would've been glorious.  A nice breeze and the cloud cover really did help though. 

The run was very nice yet a bit slower than I like, HOWEVER I realized my pace wasn't too far slower than what I learned my summertime speed was last year when it's warm and humid, so that was a huge plus. 

Of course, as I knew would happen, it felt really good to get the running done.  

In fact, as my daughter's cross country team was finishing up practice I heard them do their team cheer, yelling and whooping it up and I told her later I wanted to join them because yes -- we can do this!!  

One day at a time, one decision at a time I will not give up.   I will just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment