"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, August 18, 2014

Motivational Monday - One Scary Step

Today in my gym class the instructor says, "Next is a lateral jump with one leg onto the step." 

I stand next to the step and watch her demonstrate.  Suddenly the "...with one leg.." part hits me.  I'm supposed to jump up a couple inches onto the step with just one leg???

Um, probably not. 

"Feel free to jump with both legs to modify if you need to.", she says.  So, I do that.  I jump up and down laterally onto the step with both legs.  Challenging, but much easier to attempt than jumping with one leg.  

And then I think, "I have to see if I can do a one-legged jump, but I'm scared."  The other dozen ladies are doing the jump, but the thought of lifting all my weight with one leg really makes me uneasy.  

Finally I did it.  I had to tap my lifted leg after landing to make sure I didn't fall, but I lifted myself and jumped laterally onto the step with one leg.

I only completed two before we had to switch to the other side.  Again I looked down, got scared and then finally made myself try it.  Again I got about two done before it was time to move on.  

The next round I did two-legged lateral jumps and then made myself finish with one or two single-legged jumps. Of course, it was a little easier that time;  at least my mind was more comfortable with the idea.  

The last round I made myself do a few one-legged jumps before switching to the two-legged jumps.  My mind was past the scared stage and into the "just do a few, you'll get stronger with time" stage.  

When we finished that section of the class I pulled my phone out for a quick picture, because I realized this is exactly what life is like when faced with tough situations.  Maybe it's all in the head or maybe there's a true physical limitation, but by taking one step in the right direction we have a chance to overcome any obstacle. 

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Aren't you proud of yourself for trying? I can totally see how that would be an unnerving task. You did it and more than once. As you said, you can keep building on how many you do. You will get stronger. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holaaa Leah!
    Cool lesson you learned from your workout!!!!n I've found that it's mostly in my head, like you said. All it takes is trying it though and you impress yourself.
    I'm way proud of you for going for it, that's way cool. A lot of people won't even try things they are not confident about. I can tell you'll be successful at whatever you set your mind to do.
    KEEP IT UP!!!

    ReplyDelete