"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Motivational Monday - I Can

I hope you all had a nice Labor Day.  We enjoyed a day at the beach with some friends.  It was beautiful out.  The winds kicked up a bit, which made for lots of waves and a nice breeze for when we were not in the water.  

For motivation this week I want to share a little piece I put together for Instagram last Saturday after running my long run. 
This is the first time I've run 6 miles since the Wounded Warrior 10K in May.  I knew it would be slow, assumed around 1 hour 20 minutes, and I wasn't too far off. 

As seems to be the case of late, I was vexed to be running slower.  However, during my run I was listening to a podcast wherein the woman being interviewed made a comment that she no longer tells herself she can't do x, y or z due to physical limitations, but that she simply has to do them modified. 

"I can not do jumping jacks.", she said.  "They truly do hurt my legs. So, I simply do a side jack, low-impact, but I do not tell myself 'I can't do them'."  

It occurred to me that I need to remind myself of that.

No, I can not run 10K in 1 hour 6 minutes right now (I believe that is my personal best so far.), but...

I. CAN. RUN. 6. MILES.

Period. 

Even with a slower time I can still complete a six-mile run and that is something to be proud of. 

So, no more "I can't _____."  Simply "I can." even if I have to modify at first as I'm getting back into regular, more intense exercise.  

*contented sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment