"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Let the Healthy Holiday Season Begin!


Well, here it is September 23rd -- the first day of Fall and the first of the last 100 days of 2015.  To celebrate I am hosting a challenge to encourage myself and others to enjoy the holiday season while not losing track of our health. 


Before I list my goals let me tell you that facing the need to lose the 30 pounds I've gained over the last year and a half I'm tempted to put strict goals that will help me get on a tight track and get that weight off fast.  However, (insert dramatic pause) I know me.  And me doesn't always stick to strict diets.  Me also knows this is about long-lasting results.  

Until last year I had maintained a loss of 70 pounds for about a year and a half.  While I'd love to be the "awesome leader of the challenge" and set strict goals for myself so I can encourage you to do the same, I'd rather do what I know works and set realistic goals. 

With the exception of "don't gain weight" I've never set (or met) a weight loss goal during the holiday season.  This year will be different.  

I want to lose 10 pounds by December 31st and this is how I'm going to do it....

My goals for the 2015 Healthy Holidays Challenge are: 

  1. I will exercise at least 30 minutes at least 4 times a week.  I'm hoping for more, but as Thanksgiving and Christmas get closer if I keep this minimum I will be doing great.  Realistic goals here. 
  2. I will eat "weight-loss" portions and healthier options, tracking my food on My Fitness Pal, so I will see a loss of at least 10 pounds.  My weight today is 190.5. 
  3. I will drink at least 32 oz. of pure water a day.  I get plenty of liquids in, but not all of them are water. (I used to push for 64 oz, but I'm not sure how I feel about that any more...another topic for another day.)
  4. I will bake and enjoy holiday treats within reason, making sure to track what I eat no matter how high the calorie count.  With the exception of Thanksgiving Day.  I'll write about that later, but I don't track what I eat that day, I simply try and enjoy the food without stuffing myself. 
  5. I will strive for a balance between challenging myself to stick to a healthier plan and allowing myself to mess up.  
Now, the sixteen people who have signed up need to post their goals today.  This can be done either here on my blog or on my Instagram post that will be going up shortly.  

I've noticed every person that has signed up has an Instagram account and I believe most of the goal setting and checking in will be done over there.  

I will continue to post my own updates weekly here, beginning Friday October 2nd, and I will share the progress of our group as well.  Feel free to come check us all out and follow along on Instagram if you'd like.  

In the meantime...
...and thanks for checking in!  This blogging community is like a Weight Watchers meeting for me; holding me accountable and encouraging me to succeed in one of the biggest areas I struggle in.  I don't think I could do it without such great support.  

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to join in...I don't have Instagram though. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do join! You can check in here on my blog. Instagram is not required. :)

      Delete
    2. Just checking to see if I can post here!

      Delete
    3. I ended up doing it on Instagram! A few posts back! Memelee!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck! Challenges make me nuts, so I'm not joining, but I definitely will be cheering for all of you. Your health goals sound very sensible and doable.

    ReplyDelete