"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, April 11, 2016

Yes, I think I'll Go Tomorrow And Join

I posted a quick little why-I-haven't-blogged post earlier today and now to share my news.

**Grab a drink...this could be a while**

Short Story: 
After much consideration I decided I need a plan to follow to help me eat better and lose this weight I've gained back.  I settled on Weight Watchers and was an absolute wreck signing up and attending my first class.  So scared I'd fail I only told two friends, outside of the friend at church who is also following the plan.  

And it's taken me a week to come on here and share about it, because I wanted to see if I could make it through one week and actually see a loss.  And I did!! (but you'll have to read to the end to find out that detail.  *wink*)

Long Story:
It's taken me a week to come and share with everyone about my change in eating and, well, quite honestly because I was afraid of what folks would say. Or think.  I felt the same way I felt back when I started this last trek down weight loss mountain, "I'm just going to make some changes and not tell anyone, because they've all seen me try diets before and will probably wonder if I'll really make it this time."  

I didn't even tell my husband for two days. 

I'm being completely honest with you; it was almost paralyzing how nervous I was.  

At the same time it was a relief to finally start something better for myself.  For weeks now I've had a feeling getting on a food plan would help me get my eating back to a healthier place.  I've been tracking my food pretty steadily since about January and I haven't gained any more weight, but I just wasn't sticking to a calorie budget that was allowing me to lose. 

More honestly, I also wasn't sticking to healthier food choices very often and my gut instinct told me I needed to clean up my food choices.

I hemmed and hawed over plans in my head, knowing full well I have to find one that is going to fit my lifestyle.   I fully believe in doing something that will last a lifetime.  I love to cook and eat a variety of types of food.  Even though I had success with it in the past I didn't feel like I needed to do the 21-Day Fix again.  

I overheard a friend at church make comments that lead me to believe she was doing Weight Watchers. 

Ah ha!  I remember they always had a balanced plan, but it did include lots of fruits and vegetables.  (Yes, 5 servings a day is a lot for someone who prefers sweets and breads to fruits and vegetables. lol)  But I felt the urge to look into it.  

So, I read over their plan (as much as they offer on the website anyway) and it felt like the right thing for me to do.  I was hesitant about having to cut out a lot of fat, but I read they are also taking sugar counts into consideration and I know sugars/carbs are an issue for me. 

So, I asked my friend if I had understood her correctly and was she following Weight Watchers.  She is a lively, vibrant lady and answered me with a resounding, "YES!"  :) 

When I admitted I was thinking about following the plan, she was so excited.  It really caught me off guard.  I hadn't expected that.  By the end of the evening she came over to me and said, "So, are you in or are you out?  You gonna join??"

"Yes. Yes, I'm in.  I think I'll go tomorrow and join.", I told her. 

She was super excited and told me she was so happy to have a weight loss buddy at church now.  And as I smiled to myself I felt my stomach go in knots at the thought of signing up for a weight loss plan when I've already done this before...

I was so nervous I couldn't even fall asleep that night.

Um, I never have trouble falling asleep, so the fact that I was tossing and turning til midnight should tell you just how nervous I was.  

Monday morning didn't bring any relief.  I was so nervous all morning.  

Nervous about telling anyone I was going to do this. 
Nervous about walking into a meeting and having to admit in person I need help, when I already know what needs to happen.
Nervous I wouldn't succeed. 

But I knew something had to change and I was ready to make some changes.  So, I got dressed and got to the meeting early to sign up for 3 months in advance.

During the sign up process the kind secretary asked me if I was ready to step on the scale and I uttered, "Well, I guess that is the point, huh?"  heh. heh.  She smiled and we both chuckled a little. 

As I was finishing up my paperwork I heard a familiar voice behind me.  MY FRIEND CAME TO SUPPORT ME!  

I had already texted her about how nervous I was and she came on her non-weigh-in day just to support me.  I was so touched and it helped my nerves.  

A little. 

Anyway, the meeting went well and I went away feeling confident that I had made a good choice in which plan I'm choosing to follow. 

Later I'll share a few differences I see in this new SmartPoints plan and how they are perfect for my health needs.  

And since you were kind enough to get through all this reading here's the good news:  

I lost 3.6 pounds this first week!

I'll write an official weigh-in post about that later as well.  

So, here we go!  I topped out at 201.8 pounds, but I'm already back in wonderland and I'm going to continue taking it one day at at time to get back to that healthier new Leah that had emerged after losing weight a few years ago. 

One day at a time, because don't forget...I'm never giving up.  



No comments:

Post a Comment